- Author - Malliga
- Cusine - Indian
- Serves - 8-10
- Preparation Time - 30mins
- RICE FLOUR - 4 CUPS
- URAD DHAL FLOUR - 1/4 CUP
- ROASTED GRAM FLOUR(POOTUKADALAI) - 3/4 CUP
- COCONUT SCRAPPED - 2 TBLSP(OPTIONAL)
- CHANNA DAL - 2 TBLSP
- BUTTER 2 TBLSP
- WHITE SESAME SEEDS - 1 TBLSP
- WATER- AS NEEDED
- SALT - AS NEEDED
- OIL - FOR DEEP FRYING
- ASAFOETIDA- 1/4 TSP
- CURRY LEAVES - FEW
- Grind the roasted gram(pottukadali/chutney dhal) into a fine powder.
- Soak the channa dal for 1/2 an hour.
- Dry roast the urad dhal and powder it finely.
- I used the urad dhal flour which i get here.
- Mix the rice flour, urad dhal flour and the roasted gram flour together.
- Drain the water from the soaked channa dal.
- Add the channa dal to the flour.
- Add the curry leaves , salt , butter, redchilli powder sesame seeds and coconut(if using).
- Knead it into a dough adding enough water.
- The dough should be firm not watery.
- Greese a zip lock cover with oil.
- Take a lemon sized dough and flatten it using your palm.
- Heat a kadai with oil.
- When the oil is hot, keep the flame in medium.
- Drop the thattai into oil and fry both sides, till the sizzling sound of the oil subsides.
- You can even prick the flattened dough with a fork, to avoid it raising, before adding it to oil.
- Store it in a air tight container.
- Enjoy thattai with hot tea!